Q&A Oxford University history
Q: Where can I find out more about the history of the University of Oxford?
A: Here are a few sources for the history of the University of Oxford, printed and online.
- A very brief summary on the Oxford website
- The Illustrated History of the University of Oxford, edited by John Prest (1993)
- The History of the University of Oxford – a multi-volume work published by Oxford University Press, general editor TH Aston:
- Volume I: The Early Oxford Schools ed. J. I. Catto, Ralph Evans (1984)
- Volume II: Late Medieval Oxford ed. J. I. Catto, Ralph Evans (1992)
- Volume III:The Collegiate University ed.James McConica (1986)
- Volume IV: Seventeenth-Century Oxford ed. Nicholas Tyacke (1997)
- Volume V: The Eighteenth Century ed. L. S. Sutherland, L. G. Mitchell
- Volume VI: Nineteenth Century Oxford, Part 1 ed. M. G. Brock, M. C. Curthoys (1997)
- Volume VII: Nineteenth-century Oxford, Part 2 ed. M.G. Brock and M.C. Curthoys (2000)
- Volume VIII: The Twentieth Century ed. Brian Harrison (1994)
- for 19th and early 20th century university and college histories, and some personal memoirs of former students and Fellows, try searching for ‘history oxford’, ‘college history oxford’ etc on archive.org.