Jenkyns Exhibition exam papers 1906-1912
There is surprisingly little systematic documentation in Balliol’s archives for any period of the details of university/college curricula, any individual’s studies or indeed teaching, or examples of student work.
A new album on our Flickr pages presents images of one surviving example of the upper standard of undergraduate achievement in Classics at Balliol a century ago: the scholarship examination papers for the Jenkyns Exhibition at Balliol College, as set in 1906-1912. Some of the sets of papers are not complete. The examinations were multifaceted and included:
- prose and verse translations from Greek and Latin into English
- verse composition in Latin and Greek verse (meter specified) based upon/more or less translating English poetry
- philosophy questions (questions and answers in English)
- an essay in English on a philosophical subject
- ancient history questions (questions and answers in English)
Alas, we do not have any of the completed examination papers! It is just possible that a set may come to light one day…
The Jenkyns Exhibition in Literae Humaniores (Classics/Greats) is still offered at Balliol College.