– notes, frequently asked questions and useful links from the archivist and curator of manuscripts at Balliol College, University of Oxford. Opinions expressed are the author's own.

Symposium on Balliol’s Jewish and Hebraic Heritage, 27 November

under the auspices of Balliol College and
the Oxford Centre for Hebrew and Jewish Studies

Sunday 27 November 2016 10.30 – 1
at Balliol’s Historic Collections Centre
in St Cross Church, Holywell

Convenor: Professor Elliott Horowitz
‘Look to the rock from which you were hewn’

10:30 Exhibition opens to visitors
(Coffee and biscuits will be available)

11:00 Professor Drummond Bone (Master of Balliol)
Opening Remarks

11:15 Professor Martin Goodman FBA (Professor of Jewish Studies and President of the Oxford Centre for Hebrew and Jewish Studies; Fellow of Wolfson College)
Coins and the Jewish revolt against Rome

11:35 Dr Rahel Fronda (Deputy Curator of Hebraica and Judaica, Bodleian Libraries; Hebrew Antiquarian Cataloguer, Christ Church)
Tradition and transmission in Balliol’s fifteenth-century Hebrew Bible with micrography

12:00 Professor Joanna Weinberg (Professor of Hebrew and Jewish Studies; James Mew lecturer in rabbinical Hebrew; Lecturer in Hebrew, Exeter College)
Johann Buxtorf (1560-1629), the towering Hebraist of Basel

12:20 Professor Elliott Horowitz (Curator of the exhibition, Oliver Smithies Visiting Fellow, Balliol College, 2015-16; co-editor, Jewish Quarterly Review)
Hebraism and the Hebrew Bible at Balliol: Seventeenth-Nineteenth Centuries

* * *

Participants are welcome to have another browse of the exhibition after the talks and discussion, and proceedings will officially end at 1pm.

Please pre-register by 12 noon on Thursday 24 November: enquiries[at]ochjs.ac.uk

St Cross church is on Manor Road, next to Holywell Manor and across from the English & Law faculties. Directions

For enquiries about finding the venue, or facilities available on the day, please contact Anna Sander: archivist [at] balliol.ox.ac.uk

One response

  1. Pingback: Unlocking Archives – the list | Balliol College Archives & Manuscripts